Articles → SQL SERVER → Files In SQL Server
Files In SQL Server
- Primary data file: -
- This file points to other data files in SQL Server
- This file contains the startup information about the database
- Every database has only one primary data file
- User data can be stored in this file
- The file extension of primary data file is ".mdf."
- Secondary data file: -
- This file stores user data
- Secondary data files are optional
- The file extension of secondary data file is ".ndf"
- Transactional log files: -
- Transactional log files hold log information used to recover database
- There must be at least one log file for each database
- The file extension of transactional log file is ".ldf"