Articles → MICROSOFT AZURE → Difference Between The Generation 1 And Generation 2 Virtual Machines
Difference Between The Generation 1 And Generation 2 Virtual Machines
- Boot architecture → Generation 1 uses PCAT boot architecture whereas generation 2 uses UEFI boot architecture. The UEFI architecture improves the boot and installation time.
- Disk controllers → The disk controllers enable the CPU to communicate with disk drives. Generation 1 uses an IDE disk controller and generation 2 uses SCSI disk controller. SCSI are expensive and faster drives.
- VM sizes → Generation 1 comes in all sizes whereas generation 2 comes in following sizes - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/generation-2#generation-2-vm-sizes
- Generation 2 VMs provides OS Disk greater than 2 TB.
- Generation 2 is on premises.