Articles → Android → Create Your First Android Application
Create Your First Android Application
- JDK (latest version) is installed on your machine
- Android SDK is installed on your machine
- Eclipse 3.6.2 or greater is installed on your machine
- ADT (Advanced Development ToolKit) is configured on your machine.
Create Your First Application
- Open eclipse
- Click on File menu – New – ProjectClick to Enlarge
- A window appears as shown in figure belowClick to Enlarge
- Select ‘Android Application Project’. Click ‘Next’. A window appears as shown in figure belowClick to Enlarge
- Enter Application Name and click on ‘Next’. A window appears as shown in figure below.Click to Enlarge
- Click on ‘Next’ and a window appears as shown in figure below.Click to Enlarge
- Click Finish. Once click on ‘Finish’ a project is created.
Click to Enlarge
- src - The src folder contains the source code files of your application. In the project we have one file with the name ‘MainActivity.Java’ (This is the activity name which we have given when we created the project). See the screen shot below for src folder.Click to Enlarge
- Secondly we have layout file i.e. activity_main.xml which is inside the res folder. Click to Enlarge
- Android 4.1 – The version number in the folder name is same as the build target version of android application.
- We have AndroidManifest.xml file which contains information about the project like package name, activities etc. There are many other information but we are not covering all information in a single tutorial. See the screen shot below for AndroidManifest.xmlClick to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge